Thursday, July 19, 2012

Zucchini

It’s zucchini glut time! Sometimes it is difficult to know what to do with all of them. Did you know that you can freeze them? I experimented with zucchini preservation – they are such a bargain this time of year.  

 For several years I have frozen shredded raw zucchini for making zucchini muffins year round. They can be also used for making fritters. This year I looked up more preservation tips in a reference book. Here’s what I did:

1.       Cut them into ½ inch thick slices.

2.       Steam them for 4 minutes in a single layer in a steamer basket.

3.       Chill in ice water; drain and pat dry.

4.       Place them in a single layer on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet.

5.       Place in the freezer until frozen through, then place disks into plastic bags for freezer storage.

Since I had not frozen zucchini slices before, I used a test time of two weeks in the freezer and set the zucchini disks on the counter until they were nearly thawed.

To cook them, I used a recipe for eggplant parmesan, dipping them in an egg wash and then bread crumbs. I fried them in oil before placing them in a baking pan. Then, I covered the fried zucchini slices with marinara sauce and Leelanau Cheese Company aged raclette cheese and baked them in a 350 degree oven for several minutes. They turned out great; holding up to freezing better than eggplant has for me.

For another zucchini idea, see my previous blog on spiralcutting it.

Follow MI Foodbeet on Facebook

 
Shredded zucchini ready for the freezer.

 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment