Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ann Arbor Eats

I realized how much canning season has really slowed me down when I noticed that I had not blogged about my July trip to Ann Arbor. It was a quick trip to the Art Fairs and restaurants.

 On the way to the Art Fairs, I had to make a swing through the Farmers Market in the Kerrytown area to shoot come photos of the glorious produce piled up on the tables. I noticed that there were a lot more tomatoes available there than there were in Grand Rapids at the time. The Brinery and Mindo Chocolate are two companies that are located in that area; they had booths at the market.

To start the meal adventure, my friend and I went to Seva Restaurant – a well-known downtown restaurant on Liberty Street. We had lunch there and also stopped by after several hours of walking the fairs for a quick pick-up from the juice bar. This vegetarian restaurant has been a staple in Ann Arbor since 1973. They featured a seasonal menu before it was cool.

For dinner we went to Vinology – a downtown wine bar that I had never been to before. I found the food to be delicious and the waitperson to be knowledgeable and helpful. They source their vegetables within 100 miles and use sustainably raised meats. I was able to try the bigLITTLE wine called Crayfish. It was crisp, dry, and citrusy – great for a summer evening. It has a nice nose with a slightly floral scent. The flavor was complex and fruity but not over sweet.

For the last meal of the trip we had Sunday breakfast at Zingerman’s Roadhouse. I suppose this is hard to believe, but I had never eaten at Zingerman’s! I hate to wait in lines. But, this trip, I resolved myself to the fact that I would wait. The wait was not too long; it was worth it.
On the way home, we stopped by The Produce Station. I had come across them via their Facebook page recently. They sell a wide variety of produce and Michigan beer, wine, dairy, and many other products. Their website is really helpful, because they list all of the Michigan products available at the store.
I look back, and I am amazed at how much Michigan Love can be had over just a couple of days.
 
 

 





 







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment